THE REAL SKINNY... ON HEALTH & NUTRITION IN AMERICA

Welcome to The Real Skinny... where I will dissect some of the myths surrounding the health, nutrition, food & fitness industries in the United States. I started this blog because I am exasperated by all of the misinformation and propaganda we are fed (pun intended) by the government and the mainstream media about our food supply and the fitness industry here in the U.S.

Like many of you, I have long considered myself to be a healthy person. I regularly followed the advice of so-called experts in the nutrition fitness industries about the latest diets and exercise regimens. I exercised almost every day - sometimes for several hours at a time – and I ate what most people consider to be a very healthy diet. I always ate whole grains, low fat dairy, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I counted “calories in” vs. “calories out” religiously. Despite all of my efforts, I was still plagued with a host of issues including excess body fat. My frustration with this predicament – some might call it my obsession – led me to dig a little deeper into the nutrition/health advice I was getting.

My research began with a few magazine articles and websites. Gradually, as I did more independent research, I started to believe strongly that much of what passes for mainstream thinking on nutrition and fitness is complete nonsense. I now spend a big chunk of my free time reading everything I can on this topic – and the more research I do, the more convinced I am.

I am not big on conspiracy theories. I don’t think the CIA introduced crack cocaine into the inner city, and I don’t think George Bush had a heads-up about 9-11. But I have come to believe that the federal government and the agribusiness community have so dominated the debate on this issue that the American people are not exposed to any other line of thinking. And where has this gotten us? Americans are unhealthier and more overweight than ever.

I would like to share some of these concerns with a wider audience outside of family and friends - the poor souls who have already been subjected to my rants these past few years. For their sake and yours, I decided to take my rants to the masses. I look forward to sharing some of what I learn along the way as I attempt to educate myself and anyone who will listen about what it truly means to be healthy in America.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Genetically Modified Nonsense

Much to the annoyance of many of you that know me personally, I spend a lot of time trying to “educate” friends and family about what is really in our food. In fact, I often use this blog as my own little megaphone to pester people into caring about the integrity of our food supply.

Most Americans are well-meaning.  Given a choice, we’d like to eat more natural locally-grown and healthier food – provided it is easy to find and doesn’t bust our family budget.  Ignorance is our real enemy – most of us simply don’t know what is actually in our food.  That’s why you have The Real Skinny – now no one can pretend no one ever told them that there might be something really “bad” for them in the foods they consume every day.
 You’ll thank me later … much later, like when you’re 90 years old and in great shape because you started eating better and living a healthier life.

Today we are going to talk about Genetically Modified Organisms or “GMOs” as they are commonly referred to. GMOs are organisms that have been created through application of transgenic, gene-splicing techniques that are part of biotechnology. The World Health Organization defines GMOs as “organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally.”

As you can imagine there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding GMOs. Proponents of GMOs say they have figured out a way to feed the world affordably because the crops are no different than what you are already eating. They believe GMOs are truly a scientific breakthrough worth celebrating. Opponents maintain that these crops are not natural in any way and blame genetically engineered crops for an acute increase in allergies and diseases sweeping across the world.

Most Americans don’t realize they are eating GMOs at all.  They mistakenly believe that the word “natural” on the front of their cereal box actually means what we think it means. I hate to break it to you but as far as the FDA is concerned, it doesn’t mean much.  Amazingly, according to our government, GMOs can be listed as “natural” – even though, once again, NONE of them occur in nature. 
I’m not making this up.

If you have read my blog prior to this, you can probably surmise that I am suspect of GMOs and try to avoid them whenever possible. At this point in time, the only way to do that successfully is to eat “100% USDA Certified Organic” all the time.  That can be tough to do – and it can get expensive.  Most of us have to assume that we are consuming genetically engineered crops every day. You see… the FDA does not require labeling of GMOs and as a result, they have crept their way into the American food supply in a myriad of ways.

I am not going to tell you what you should think about GMOs.  I understand that we need to find inexpensive ways to feed a growing world.  But I also think that we don’t know the long-term effects of GMOs, and I believe our government owes it to us to let us know what we are putting into our bodies. 

I personally prefer not to be a science experiment. If you agree with me, you should register your concern with the FDA. You can do this by signing this petition at Just Label It.

No comments:

Post a Comment